Re: Norsat Downconverter

Talk to Bernice at ICM and ask for the "2500" crystal.  I ordered one and will report when it arrives and I install it.  These units are really first class from a construction viewpoint, and having both connectors on the same side makes lash-up to a preamp like the Conifer 1033 much easier than the Drake.  See Ward, WC0Y's site for his mod and test results.  See Mark, N0NSV's site www.markfossum.com to order one of these (very inexpensive!).
73,
Jerry, K5OE
ps:  GL on FD!

In a message dated Fri, 22 Jun 2001  9:21:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, wb4mle@mindspring.com writes:

<< On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 03:13:22 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone have any experience or information on converting a NorSat 2500
>downconverter for AO-40 Mode S?

I have one with a crystal that gets it close to a 2m IF. Ward, WC0Y
has tuned the filter down with ptfe tape. His results seem to indicate
that with no further mods the Norsat has a slightly better noise
figure than the Drake without the lna replacement. See
http://communities.msn.com/wc0y&naventryid=124

Mark Fossum is having a crystal analyzed to determine the correct
correlation info.
http://www.markfossum.com/
 Some tweaking may be possible on the "stubs" of the lna to get it
better on 2401 and a low noise preamp should be able to put it into
the high performance category. 73 de Eddie, WB4MLE
--
Eddie Seymour, WB4MLE
E-Mail wb4mle@mindspring.com