Re: RE: Station Program es 847

Mike Murphree wrote:

> Please enable line/word wrap on your email program,
> this is awful...
>
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 10:04:57AM -0500, Estes Wayne-W10191 wrote:
> >
> > I once had a serial problem with my FT-847 when I used a home-made serial cable that only connected the 3 wires specified in the FT-847 manual.  It worked fine on one computer, but it didn't work on a different computer.  The symptom was the same as what KQ6EA reported.  The CAT icon would light up, but the radio wouldn't tune.  I still don't know why, but I solved the problem by making a cable that connects all 9 pins (with pins 2 and 3 swapped, of course).  Minor rant: Why is it so hard to buy a 9-pin null-modem cable?  There are tons of 25-pin null-modem cables in stores, even though it's been many years since 25-pin connectors were widely used for serial ports.
>
> I think the better question is why the radio manufacturers
> can't get this right. Yaesu configured the FT-847 as a DTE
> device which made no sense and Icom wired the IC-PCR1000
> right but used the wrong gender connector so it required a
> hard to find extender cable. At least Kenwood seems to have
> gotten it right on the TS-2000.
>
> Mike N4CNW

Aw 'cmon guys , whats so hard about going to Radio Shack or ( insert
your local elect.parts dealers overseas ) and buy a couple DB-9's with
hoods and soldering three wires onto 'em and going from there ?

Geeze I love to build my own cables , then I know that if it breaks I
only have myself to blame not same cable made in Africa by ants ;^}

Not to be disparaging to the nice ants in Africa , it just seems that
those ready-made cables are getting cheaper and cheaper all the time ,
and of course they last about as long as it takes to make the money to
buy them ..........

Ok , rant mode off ..

help me here Mike , is Netscrape doing ok , or am I screwing your email
client up by not doing some sort of word wrap thingee ?

Not even sure how in this client that I can do that , heck , maybe I
should go back to using pine from the command prompt , at least there I
had an idea of what was goin on :^P

Awesome AMSAT guys , way to go on the arcjet out-gassing ( firing ? ) !!

--
Douglas Cole   N7BFS
AMSAT#26182 , K2 # 544