Re: RE: Station Program es 847

Please enable line/word wrap on your email program,
this is awful...

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 10:04:57AM -0500, Estes Wayne-W10191 wrote:

> I once had a serial problem with my FT-847 when I used a home-made serial cable that only connected the 3 wires specified in the FT-847 manual.  It worked fine on one computer, but it didn't work on a different computer.  The symptom was the same as what KQ6EA reported.  The CAT icon would light up, but the radio wouldn't tune.  I still don't know why, but I solved the problem by making a cable that connects all 9 pins (with pins 2 and 3 swapped, of course).  Minor rant: Why is it so hard to buy a 9-pin null-modem cable?  There are tons of 25-pin null-modem cables in stores, even though it's been many years since 25-pin connectors were widely used for serial ports.

I think the better question is why the radio manufacturers
can't get this right. Yaesu configured the FT-847 as a DTE
device which made no sense and Icom wired the IC-PCR1000
right but used the wrong gender connector so it required a
hard to find extender cable. At least Kenwood seems to have
gotten it right on the TS-2000.

Mike N4CNW