Re: Re: Field Day satellite rule.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Paige" <kk5do@arrl.net>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 16:26 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Re: Field Day satellite rule.

> From:           ALTENCZA@aol.com
> Date sent:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:15:12 EDT
> Subject:        [amsat-bb] Re: Field Day satellite rule.
> To:             amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
[snip]
> >    2.      Are U/S and L/S separate transponders?
>
> The rules state "Each satellite transponder is considered a separate band"
> thus U/S is separate from L/S

I think Bruce is correct and I hope AO40 can be made available for at least
the period when the squint angles are tolerable. I can also imagine someone
with a two op satellite station being challenged on the "use of more than
one transmitter at the same time on a single satellite transponder is
prohibited" rule since you'd be hearing two downlinks with no way to tell
that the uplinks were different.

As for AO40 availability, I realize there are several greater priorities
governing AO40 operations beyond our desire to have it available for Field
Day.  However, if possible, I'd like to suggest that transponder ops during
the weekend from ma9-24 would give about almost an hour of access during the
FD period with very strong dl signals.  This would be a great chance to
offset the old news that is still circulating in the various glossies.  We
have a great chance to demonstrate that AO40 is functional and that s-band
is not so tough.  Either way I'm planning to have my s-band dish at FD and
copy the bcn for the archive if nothing else.

Lee-KU4OS