Hearing AO-40 MB at 150 deg. squint? <ANSWERED!>

Thanks to Dom I8CVS, an obvious RF smart-guy, there is a textbook answer to
my question. I have included Dom's message to me for reference. At first, I
thought "diffraction" as a misspelling. <grin> NOT SO! Check Page 21.3 of
the 2001 ARRL Handbook, and you will read an excellent piece on "knife edge
diffraction", a fairly well understood RF anomaly.

It seems what was happening was that a side lobe of the helix antenna was
striking the edge of AO-40, between the bottom and side, and caused a
"shadow zone" of RF to wrap around the spacecraft.

Also, thanks again to the ham on this mailing list that spotted the fact
that Borders Book Stores was selling 2001 ARRL Handbooks for about $10 or
so. What an outstanding reference, and an incredible price. (It had to be a
mistake)

Regards,
Steve Diggs, W4EPI

(Here's hoping DOM will send me a reply QSL card for our AO-40 contact; I
even sent him an IRC...hi..hi..)