From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Steve Diggs
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 1:01 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Hearing AO-40 MB at 150 deg. squint?

OK, guys I have a question here:

I am sitting here listening to a very weak AO-40 MB, with Nova indicating
squint is over 150 degrees. Distance is 6,100 miles, and elevation is 33
degrees.

I can both pick the sound out by ear, and see the normal "comb" like
appearance in my DSP waterfall display. (AO40RCV).

How can this be? The antenna is pointed away from me, and I have a big chunk
of satellite between the antenna and me. Is the signal bouncing off
something and then coming back to me? I don't understand how the signal is
propagating in such a manner that I can hear it in this configuration.

Thanks much,
Steve Diggs, W4EPI