Fried 3733

Need some info bad.
Just fired up the 3733 with neg voltage to the striped wire and + on the
blank black wire ot the Power feed and did not see any sign of any current on
milliampmeter. I checked the center conductor of the feed and it showed neg
voltage. I assumed that I had a reverse power feed and reversed the feed + to
the striped wire and gnd to the solid black wire. I now have current flow.
The info says that it should be about 160ma but I am drawing about 390 ma. I
do hear some noise output on the 2-meter receiver and some of it can be
directional ( rotating the downconverter by hand). However I am not sure if I
have cooked the unit or not as the current is about twice what it should have
or better.  Any help woould be grateful. Tom, W4EWB. e-mail
samthomaswalker@cs.com.