Re: Return loss bridge (2.4 gHz ) report

Hi All

I have had several queries about the Return Loss Bridge.    I do not have
any affiliation with the making or selling of this equipment.    Just a
happy customer.

www.satelectronic.com

Phone  925-513-1597
Fax     925-513-1797

Jim  VE5FP
Eric  KN6KC@arrl.net

Equipment needed to make the Return Loss Bridge work"

Common 9 volt Battery.
50 microamp (ua) meter movement.
External reference.
Something to test .

The bridge is a two port device that requires a reference on one port
that has a DC resistance equal to the desired impedance of the antenna
under test.
If the antenna is to match 50 ohm coax then an N connector with a 50 ohm
non inductive resistor installed can be used .      Eric had some 50 ohm
reference loads available .    I obtained one and found it was a heavy (
thick ) N connector made to keep thermal stability.

As a reference the following are current levels measured for the various
conditions and devices .

Reference on port 1 .    51 ohm DC  ( Fluke 73 )

Shorted  port 2       26 ua
Open      port 2       35 ua
Small UHF connector  Dummy load,  50.8 Ohms    5 ua
Home brew UHF connector Dummy load,   56.2 ohms              32 ua
TSI dipole        2 ua
BBQ dish dipole w/ 16-5/8 square aluminum tube w/ splash plate  0 ua   no
dish
BBQ dish dipole w/ 6-1.4 square aluminum tube w/o splash plate 3 ua    no
dish
Home brew vertical for the DEM WSS 2400B test oscillator       2 ua

I know Eric , the person I dealt with, has gone on vacation for three
weeks.    He was my only contact .

Joe K0VTY