Thermistor Question, Drake 2880

Hi to the group....sometime ago, I read here on the BB about the
installation of a Thermistor for controlling temperature for the
crystal...the particular one was on a Trans System Downconverter...The
Thermistor is Part number Digi Key KC004P-ND which happens to be available
in two temp ranges, 50 and 60 degrees.

I selected the 60 degree device as the part number suggests and the specs
suggests that the component is a 25 volt device.  We installed the
Thermistor in a Drake 2880 and much to my surprise with only 12 volts
applied, this little devil is to HOT to touch.

My question for the group is...should the device be this hot...at 60
degrees?  Or should a resistor be applied to drop the voltage even further
than 12 volts.  Anyone done this mod that can shed some light on the
subject?  Talk about cooking the crystal!!  The voltage to the unit will
remain off till I can get some clarification.

73's to one and all..

Lonnie  (NT6B)