Re: Can anyone clarify dBic?

Oops, Franklin YOU ARE CORRECT.
I always seem to space out on that power division thing.
Thanks!

So for everyone else...please ERASE ERASE ERASE my reply ;-)

At 03:01 PM 6/12/01 -0700, Franklin Antonio wrote:
>At 01:59 PM 6/12/2001, Scott Townley wrote:
>>(Or look at it another way...if you "CP" a pair of 10dB yagis, and receive
>>them on a linear antenna, the CP pair will look like 13dBic-3dB
>>(polarization mismatch)=10dBi, which is the gain of one of the linear
yagis).

>That is not correct.  If you phase a pair of 10dBi Yagis, and transmit a
>circularly polarized signal to me using that setup, and I receive it with a
>linearly polarized antenna, I will receive only the portion of the signal
>that you transmitted from ONE of the two transmit antennas.  Yes, that one
>transmit Yagi antenna is a 10dBi antenna, but you only put half of the
>transmit power into it (because you put half into the other polarization
>which is in this case wasted).
>
>Therefore, the result will be the same as if you had transmitted to me
>using a 7dBi Yagi.  10dBi - 3dB = 7dBi.

------------
Scott Townley
nx7u@arrl.net
Gilbert, AZ  DM43

HF/VHF/UHF/Satellite MOBILE station
http://www.primenet.com/~nx7u

"When the Going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro"
Raoul Duke, Sportswriter

"Don't worry Boys, we'll weather this Storm of Approval and come out as
Hated as Ever"