Re: Can anyone clarify dBic?

Oops, Franklin YOU ARE CORRECT.
I always seem to space out on that power division thing.

So for everyone else...please ERASE ERASE ERASE my reply ;-)

At 03:01 PM 6/12/01 -0700, Franklin Antonio wrote:
>At 01:59 PM 6/12/2001, Scott Townley wrote:
>>(Or look at it another way...if you "CP" a pair of 10dB yagis, and receive
>>them on a linear antenna, the CP pair will look like 13dBic-3dB
>>(polarization mismatch)=10dBi, which is the gain of one of the linear
>That is not correct.  If you phase a pair of 10dBi Yagis, and transmit a
>circularly polarized signal to me using that setup, and I receive it with a
>linearly polarized antenna, I will receive only the portion of the signal
>that you transmitted from ONE of the two transmit antennas.  Yes, that one
>transmit Yagi antenna is a 10dBi antenna, but you only put half of the
>transmit power into it (because you put half into the other polarization
>which is in this case wasted).
>Therefore, the result will be the same as if you had transmitted to me
>using a 7dBi Yagi.  10dBi - 3dB = 7dBi.
Scott Townley
Gilbert, AZ  DM43
HF/VHF/UHF/Satellite MOBILE station

"When the Going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro"
Raoul Duke, Sportswriter

"Don't worry Boys, we'll weather this Storm of Approval and come out as
Hated as Ever"