Re: Positioning a Helix feed

Hi Greg,

> 3) Cover the dish temporarily with tin foil, and shine
> a light on it (or use the sun).

No.3 is the way to go.
For my 6ft dish I made a test setup consisting of a 6 inch disc
made from tracing paper (translucent) on the end of a piece
of broomstick. I polished the dish surface and used the Sun
as a source. Keep the shadow of the disc in the centre of the dish.
Dish geometry is based on parallel rays from the source and there
is a small difference if you use a close source.
(not so small if the source is very close).
This method works well and also gives you a "feel" for the degree
of accuracy required in this type of exercise. My dish threw a "spot"
about 2 inches minimum diameter and in fact the focal point was not
critical within a half inch or so and it coincided exactly with the
calculated point. I also use a helix feed and I took the end of the
first turn as being the epi-centre of the helix.

Good luck,

Bill...vk3jt
Milawa
Australia