From: "Dennis Ray Wingo" <wingod@lycos.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>; "Tony Langdon" <tlang@freeway.apana.org.au>
Sent: Sunday, 10 June 2001 19:13 UTC
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Newbies! Hard-Sats destroy AMSAT.

> On 10 Jun 01 00:50:48 +1000
>  Tony Langdon wrote:
> >
> >Hello Trevor!
> >
> >09 Jun 01 14:10, you wrote to All:
> >
> > T> Building simple low cost Mode A/B sats needn't and
> > T> shouldn't preclude building sats for our microwave bands.
> > T> We need both types.
> >
> >Maybe the unis need to be encouraged to throw some linear transponders
into
> >their LEO birds, since almost all of them seem to come from universities
these
> >days.
> >
> >Tony, VK3JED
> >
> >.. d all be better off.  :-)
>
> If I could make a suggestion.  If AMSAT members could come up with a low
cost design of a linear transponder on  a very small PCB.  Keep the Power
Amplifier on a seperate heat sinkable PCB.

> Have some of these "in stock" at the AMSAT lab and offer them to the
universities that want to launch birds.  Give them technical support to help
them with licensing and getting the linear transponder integrated (this can
be over the net or with good docs).

> Our SEDSAT project paid several thousand dollars to build a linear
transponder based upon a redesign that we had to do to the obsolete OSCAR 7
mode A unit.

> With resources thin on these projects many of them are not willing to
raise the extra money to do yet another transponder.  if one was available I
think that you would find an enthusiasm to include them in their projects.