Can anyone clarify dBic?

A fly in the ointment for my understanding when calculating EIRP is whether
your antenna gain is dBi (for a linear antenna) or dBic (for a circularly
polarized antenna).

Here's my understanding...

There's potentially up to a 3dB _loss_ directly pointing a linear antenna at
a circular antenna compared to directly pointing circular to circular (of
the same sense of course). My understanding is that if you correctly phase
two, say, 10dBi linear antennas mounded perpendicularly to each other with
the boom at the axis, you get a 10dBic gain circular antenna.

Perhaps someone will confirm or correct me on this simplistic view.

73 Howard G6LVB