Re: RCA/DSS dish feed resources?

Hi Dale,

I was able to hear AO-40 when it was strong (good squint), but the signal
was pretty weak.

http://camel.campbell.edu/~hammond/ham/transystem/MVC-744F.JPG

Yes, that is simply a Transystem 3733 mounted with a rubber band right on
top of the original Dishnetwork converter :-)

I first found where to point using the Primestar dish (with the exact same
converter), and then lined up the 18" dish to match.  Low and behold, I
heard the beacon.

Far from optimized, but it was VERY simple, and it worked!  I would call
the system marginal at best.  Don't expect to get much good telemetry with
such a setup, or to have many (if any) SSB QSOs.  A good preamp might make
it useable when the bird is pointing its antennas right at you.

73,

Mark

//
Would anybody know what the workable beam angle might be for this dish?
Just curious if it might be possible to lock it down and maybe receive for
a hour or so without moving the dish.

>Thanks, Dale kf4sir

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]