Re: AO-40 receive equipment in VK

Hamish,

You asked...

>Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:01:26 +1000
>From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish@cloud.net.au>
>Subject: [amsat-bb] AO-40 receive equipment in VK

> ...VKs on the list.. what equipment are you using to receive AO-40 on
2.4GHz?
> Are ex-Galaxy MMDS antennas suitable? What's the best way to obtain one?
[snip]Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@debian.org> <hamish@cloud.net.au>

I have been preparing a page on the ex-Galaxy MMDS antennas and have said,
several times but at least 10 days ago being the last time, that they are
usable virtually as-is.

I am working with Kerrie VK1TKR to make it a go-er.

See my as-yet not-finished web page at
http://www.geocities.com/peter-vk1kep/amateur/conif/c-what.htm . It is not
yet 'released' for serious reference for obvious reasons. It's not
sufficiently developed; I have been as busy as a cut snake in the last few
weeks.

Thus far, it appears that if you power one up on 2401.xyz then it will have
usable output on 449.xyz; BUT, this is using uncalibrated test equipment.
And, the gain of the device seems virtually optimal for 2401. You'd have to
have a suitable power injection/signal stripping arrangement of which
several are on record on this list. (A 'set-top-box' might be even
more useful, but we are yet to try it that way.)
I aspire to have several ex-Galaxy 21dB "BBQ Grills" running off one feed
and therefore offering reduced necessity for slewing and some advantage over
the 21dB gain.

The converters and antennas are still to be found in various places. See my
list at the web site.

Best wishes,

Peter Ellis
Amateur Radio VK1KEP