Re: Customs

Hello This is Yoshi.

At 2001/06/11 21:48:45 sco@sco-inc.com wrote:
> If a ham from the USA were to visit a ham club overseas and bring with them
> ... say a couple of S band down converters, how would your customs treat
> that?  Would they charge a tax on the items coming into your country? What
> if that visiting ham decided to sell those items to the local club (hams)
> while he was there? Perhaps the local ham club could provide housing for
> the visiting ham to help with the transportation costs of making such a trip?

  Have you ever tried it? If not, please try it at once. Then maybe
you will know how difficult to answer your question :-p.  It all
depends on the condition of countries/systems/custom-personal.

  Maybe when you visit T88 or V63, custom officer will ask you just
as "Is it for sales?". You should say "No. Its my personal use and
bring back when departure". Mostly they say "OK" and pass you. They
will not make any item list, and also they will not check anything
when your departure. So you can bring something and can leave it at
there. (*1)
  But it will be different at another countries. How about China?
Viet-num? Cambodia or Laos? Nepal or Philippines? I never tried it,
but they might have a different system. Some may request full payments
and refund, some may request a full item list and check on deperture,
some may accept nothing bringing... All depends.

  Courier System will be the best way. If there is somebody who have
a plan to go, we should ask him to make arrangement to bring it there.
But we should check the import-system of the target country at case by
case.

  In the case of Japan (maybe nobody will not try Hi), you may not
charged any import taxes when you bringing a few numbers of personal
electronics devices. :-)

(*1) Except the case of big Linear Amplifier. Unfortunately it looks
     like a commercial equipment, so maybe the custom officer will
     keep your heavy KW AMP at the back office, and give you a paper
     and say "Please vivst our tax office at downtown on next weekday
     to make a import application".
     I worked as a local tour operator at Palau, and I did it a few
     times! Finally I negosiated with the officer and never paid any
     import taxes, but my guest spent a few days without AMP...

  Offcouse, I will bring some SHF equipments and will try to leave it
there when I make a trip abroad Hi.

Yoshihiro Imaishi JF6BCC/KH2GR
GL:PM53JV, ex KC6IY(T88IY),V63BP
mailto:jf6bcc@jarl.com