Re: Re: Newbies! Hard-Sats destroy AMSAT.

> The presence of illegal stations in our bands
> is perhaps an indication that we need many more
> satellites producing strong downlinks in the sat-bands.
> Sadly of course some countries do not even permit
> Ham operation on 70cm.

This would be a losing battle because of a thing called the inverse
square law and the fact that terrestrial stations have virtually
unlimited power for their transmitters. The distances involved and the
power levels available from amateur sats could never compete with an HT
at 5w a mile away. Legislation and enforcement is the only way to
protect weak signal bands. I do agree that usage is a key factor in
getting and keeping the appropriate legislation.

BTW, in the 40 years I've been a ham we have never succeeded in running
the pirates and commercial broadcasters off of 40 meters... even running
legal limits. I doubt that the strategy will work on VHF/UHF either.

Kd7ai