Re: Newbies! Low cost U/S stations.

Hello This is Yoshi.

At 2001/06/11 16:03:23 Trevor wrote:
> Thats fine for North America/Western Europe but I was
> thinking more of those areas of the world that slap taxes
> of over 100% on the importation of such goods, don't
> have a reliable postal service and where $1000 is a lot
> of money.

  In these areas, High-taxes or High-risk of shipping is same on
both SHF and HF equipments. 100% import-duty will be charged both
HF rigs and SHF gears. Non-reliable transfer service will lost
also both.
  $1,000 is a big money even for me :-p. But If somebody hams in
these areas could not pay it for SHF gear, they might could not pay
it for their HF rigs also. It is just a problem of his budget.

  HF/VHF may or may not a low-cost way, and SHF is not a special.
It is all depends on the person who want to QRV on sat, and on what
he has now, also where he is living.

  SHF gears are usually small. This means easy to bring, easy to
install, and easy to pass the custom.
  Please imagine to bring a big alminum-pipe (HF ANT) and amplifier
into the T88 (palau) that I was there for 2 years. It was much hard
things for me to certify that was not for commercial :-(. Alminum
pipe and amplifier are look like the equipment for commercial FM
station! The import duty was only 4% in palau, but required import
license for commercial use. I Had? No.
  But the dish or small TV converter will be passed freely because
it looks like gears for personal use.

  And there is another one things we should not forget. 2m/70cm
is not only for hams in some areas. Phase-3 type Mode-A bird will
be the worst one for us. Its narrow passband will be filled up
with commercial QRM when it fly over ther asian areas. Mode-B will
be a little bit better, but we asian hams will not hear its downlink
by heavy QRM :-p.

  Mode-A/B "Easysat" may or may not be easy-sat for everybody I think.

Yoshihiro Imaishi JF6BCC/KH2GR
GL:PM53JV, ex KC6IY(T88IY),V63BP
mailto:jf6bcc@jarl.com
<http://plaza16.mbn.or.jp/~palau/index-hame.html>