[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] - [Date Index][Thread Index][Author Index]

Re: Newbies! Hard-Sats destroy AMSAT.



Hi all ,
I disagree with the point, that VHF/UHF transceivers are too expensive..
concerning my personal experience here in Germany and possibly also in
Europe, it's more common  for a beginner to start with a vhf/uhf
combination than with a shortwave station. Also because of the fact,
that only our 'extra' license is allowed to transmit on shortwave.. When
I started ham radio, I got together some VHF/UHF equip, because cheaper
and smaller .. I would have been able to match some 100ft of wire,
regardless of the fact, that you run in serious trouble when you try to
run such a wire in a dense populated city like ours.

I think the real problem is the point of view between the US and
Europe.. in Europe, VHF/UHF and SHF are more common than in the US..

73s Achim, DH2VA
dh2va@amsat.org

"John Stephensen, KD6OZH" wrote:
> 
> It sounds like the root of the problem is that the currently available $1500
> VHF/UHF satellite transceivers are too expensive and we need simpler ground
> station equipment.
> 
> 73,
> 
> John
> KD6OZH
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Trevor" <m5aka@yahoo.co.uk>
> To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>; "Jens H. Jensen" <topcat@mail1.stofanet.dk>;
> "Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL" <vlfiscus@mcn.net>
> Sent: Friday, 08 June 2001 22:53 UTC
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Newbies! Hard-Sats destroy AMSAT.
> 
> > Having only hard to use satellites means:
> > - only the dedicated few use them
> > - there are very few people to actually work on the sats
> > - AMSAT membership plunges
> > - there is no money to build new satellites
> > - AMSAT ceases to exist
> >
> > User friendly satellites (Mode A/B linear transponders) means:
> > - lots of hams become interested in satellites
> > - they LEARN by getting on the sats and improving their skills
> > - there are lots of hams to work even on the microwave sats
> >   as the newcomers work their way up
> > - AMSAT membership rises
> > - theres lots more money available to fund new sats
> > - AMSAT has a bright future
> >
> > I actually regard UO-14 and the other FM sats as hard to use
> > since they only have a single channel. Over populated
> > areas you need a high power station in order to grab
> > the channel.
> >
> > Trevor M5AKA
> >
> > --- "Jens H. Jensen" <topcat@mail1.stofanet.dk> wrote: > At
> > 23:14 07-06-2001, you wrote:
> > >
> > > >ISS, UO-14, Lots of whining.
> > >
> > > Easy to use, therefore crowded, whining as a result, since
> > > "easy" can, by
> > > definition, never get easy ENOUGH!. What these people really
> > > want is a
> > > chatroom with supportstaff :-((
> > >
> > > Easy sats also encourage new hams with less experience and
> > > commitment than
> > > really required.
> > > Same as other "easy" stuff in the rest of society, come to
> > > think of it....
> > >
> > > >AO-40, Hardly no whining.
> > >
> > > Hardly has the userbase of the two others, and requires an
> > > effort to get
> > > on. Once you've made that effort, you are not likely to be
> > > the easy-whining
> > > type.
> > >
> > > Different type sats, different type mentality.
> > >
> > > Good reasoning, Vince!
> > >
> > > 73 de OZ1LRG
> > >
> > > ----
> > > Via the amsat-bb mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of
> > > AMSAT-NA.
> > > To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe amsat-bb" to
> > Majordomo@amsat.org
> >
> >
> > ____________________________________________________________
> > Do You Yahoo!?
> > Get your free @yahoo.co.uk address at http://mail.yahoo.co.uk
> > or your free @yahoo.ie address at http://mail.yahoo.ie
> > ----
> > Via the amsat-bb mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.
> > To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe amsat-bb" to Majordomo@amsat.org
> 
> ----
> Via the amsat-bb mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.
> To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe amsat-bb" to Majordomo@amsat.org

-- 

----------------------------------------------
    Achim Vollhardt
    Universitaet Zuerich
    Physik Institut, 36J36
    Winterthurerstrasse 190
    CH-8057 Zuerich
 
    tel: 0041-1-6355742
	 0041-1-6355704 (fax)
 
    email: avollhar@physik.unizh.ch
----
Via the amsat-bb mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.
To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe amsat-bb" to Majordomo@amsat.org



AMSAT Top AMSAT Home