Re: S-Band Newbies

Ed- glad to see you informing S-band Newbies and setting them straight-
that so many of us started out with nothing- and had to learn how to put our
stations together from odds and ends that we acquired from here and there.
No one ever said it was going to be cheap to copy S-band downlinks. The
first thing that most of them need to do is: learn the fundamentals of noise
figure, gain, noise bandwidth, polarization loss - and how to compute a link
margin- for otherwise they will be wasting their time and money using
antennas with too little gain, downconverters with too high a noise figure
and not enough gain, and using front-end components with too much insertion
loss. How many are using a  low loss bandpass filter and a low noise pre-amp
before their downconverters ?  Not  many !  Then after spending several
hundred dollars without knowing their link margin  - it's amazing to hear
them say " what did I do wrong ? -  for I still can't hear anything " ! Do
they
know how to build a low insertion loss, S-band interdigital bandpass
filter ( out of a piece of  brass - with a few brass tuning screws)-
that will reduce their front-end noise bandwidth and improve their received
signal to noise ratio ? Have they had the experience and joy of building
anything ? I doubt it.

All the Best,
Jim., N6MV