Re: Newbies! Hard-Sats build better amateurs.

It doesn't sound like AMSAT needs to spend money on mode A or B satellites
if sufficient information is published on inexpensive ground stations for
mode U/S and L/S.

I have an IC-821H, a modified DEM converter and LNA, and a 3 foot dish with
Yaesu rotator that will work fine for AO-40 so I've never looked into
low-cost gear. The need for older modes seems to be related to lowering the
cost of the ground station and the IC-821 and the newer all-mode
transceivers seem to be the major cost. I received half a dozen replies
outlining complete AO-40 ground stations that can be assembled for $450 and
up with used gear or Radio Shack 10-meter transceivers.

73,

John
KD6OZH