Re: Re: Arcjet Motor

Jean-Edmond:

No one is disparaging MBB motors.  The problem
on AO-40 is,as it has been with all of the
Phase III birds, with the associated systems
feeding or controlling the motor.  The systems
are of our  design and lack of testing or
proper procedures has killed us in every case.
To the best of our knowledge, the MBB motor
has always performed as specified by the
manufacturer. The ineptitude is ours,  not MBB's.

We should indeed not limit ourselves to LEO
but should be smarter about what it is we can
do and can't do well.   I have great hopes for
the forward looking experiments with the
Arcjet motor.   If we need a larger kick we
should use the much less complex solid kick
motors ( <if>  we can acquire one).  If we get
into the right orbit (high enough perigee) then
we can certainly use only small thrust (arcjet,
plasma, ion, etc.) motors to our great advantage.
It is disappointing in the extreme that we have to
accelerate all that dead fuel and oxidizer, but as
Kayser says, defecation happens.

These smaller thrust motors, we can test extensively,
even in a vacuum.

Bob
N4HY