Re: Re: Arcjet Motor

Hello Ed, Domenico, and all,
 just my two cents for the historians and to restaure some truth.
FIRST I have been responsible for the launch of the two german-french
symphonie satellites and I followed with deep attention the development of
the Europa I/II rockets.(and finally baught launches by Thor Delta from Mc
Donnell Douglas  hi!). The 400 N  motor was built by MBB, a company grouping
Messerschmit, Bolkows and Blumm and was used as vernier adjustments of the
second stage burning UDMH and N2O4. We had NEVER problem with this motor!
The 400 N motor was also used on board of Symphonie as orbit control. We had
NEVER problem with this motor.
SECUND I have been responsible for the definition of the Ariane program and
for the control and authorization for flight of the Ariane mark 1 and 2/3
from number 1 (called LO1) to number 17 (called V17). So I felt fully
responsible to have splashed Phase III A, not so far from Kourou. It was an
Ariane mark 1 and not 4.  So we never knew how should have worked the
Thiokol motor ( I think it was burning polybutadiene by ammonium perchloride
with a drop of aluminium powder to accelerate the combustion) but this motor
had a long serie of successes. I helped Karl to obtain a place on LO6, for
AO 10, and we got a problem at separation : contact between an antenna and
the "Sylda" mecanical cylinder for dual launches. Then the satellite got an
inverse sense of spin and got very cold until Karl rewright the attitude
control program, and loaded it thru telecommand. This very low temperature
caused a leak of the pessurising gaz( don't remember helium or nitrogen) and
it has been impossible to give the last pulse for final orbit. Here again we
had NO problem with the motor itself. Do not remember any problem with AO13.
THIRD and last, for Arsene (my project !!)we have developped (in an
industrial frame,for training of students, and free for the project) a
special solid kick motor called "the MARS motor", which fullfilled its spec
at the first firing at sea level so that we went directly into orbit and got
our final orbit in one shot only. The speed increase was also about 1500
m/s, fired at apogee of GTO.
So I hope you will understand that we have not to restrict our dreams for
future to only LEO easy satellites !!
Best 73
Jean-Edmond F8ZS