RE: Newbies! Hard-Sats destroy AMSAT.

Hello John

> I haven't seen the equivalent of the "Warbler" for AO-40. If the
definition
> of an "easy-sat" is really the availability of a low-cost ground station,
> then the all-mode VHF/UHF transceiver is the primary impediment and
> therefore the place to cut costs.

That's interesting. I'm currently preparing a low cost station for AO-40
which I'm considering presenting at the AMSAT-UK Colloquium in July.

Here's the cost for an entire AO-40 station from scratch, without even
getting your soldering iron out:

FT-290 S/H                £100  $138
FT-790 S/H                 £90  $124
1W in 50W out 70cm Amp S/H £78  $108
AIDC converter inc dipole  £39   $54
Xtal for above              £9   $12
60cm offset TV dish I found £0    $0
K5OE 70cm X yagi           £10   $14
====================================
TOTAL                     £326  $450

Of course, a lot of folks already have equipment that they could use which
will really reduce the cost.

Question? How much would the _average_ ham spend to get on UO-14 from
scratch?

Alinco DJ-G5TH HT         £217  $300
9.6V NiCd battery pack     £50   $69
Arrow Split boom           £58   $80
Arrow in boom duplexer     £43   $60
TOTAL                     £368  $509

Of course, what I forgot to mention was that with the AO-40 configuration
you're also configured for UO-14, AO-27, FO-20, FO-29 if you add a $20 2m
K5OE antenna.

73 Howard G6LVB