Re: Newbies! Hard-Sats destroy AMSAT.

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, John Stephensen, KD6OZH wrote:

> It sounds like the root of the problem is that the currently available $1500
> VHF/UHF satellite transceivers are too expensive and we need simpler ground
> station equipment.

Same for HF.  $1500 to $3000, but then you can do the same thing (sort of)
with a $45 WARBLER kit.... communicate on HF many hundred miles.....
Look at the popularity of PSK-31 Warblers...  complete HF "SSB"
transceivers for $45.

Yes, you can BUY sooper-dooper rigs, but HAM RADIO, and THE BAND, and the
MODE doesn't "REQUIRE" the cash investment...  AO40 is proving that in
spades...

bob