Re: Arcjet Motor (or tell me which person is responsible)

The AMSAT-NA board, which represents its members, initiated an investigation
by people who understood the process of building and launching satellites
and published a report (see
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/news/ans2001/ans01077.html#01). I'm sure that
whoever forgot to remove the cap on the valve exhaust port had to explain it
to 20 of his peers. There is no reason that the rest of the world needs to
know his or her name.

I've had people working for me make mistakes. They had to admit them in
weekly project review meetings and fix them. However, I would never make
them go to the customer to have them humiliated and no customer ever asked
me to do that. Usually, anyone in the project team could have made the same
mistake. Singling out one person would only make everyone less willing to
admit mistakes and future product quality would suffer. If a person didn't
learn and kept making mistakes then he or she had to be moved to a more
suitable job. Standing in front of the customer and having them tell me that
we were a buch of creeps was my job since I was management. After venting
their anger, the customer would usually accept our plan to fix the problem.

73,

John
KD6OZH