Re: question about the DEM 13 ULNA 2.4GHz preamp

Mark:  I'm forwarding this for Don. Message follows:

Art N3OY

To: Mark Hammond  N8MH

From: Don Rees W4VQA

Re: DEM LNA

You should see some increase in background noise when LNA is powered up.
Just how much depends on your configuration. Good check here is to use the
SUN noise as reference with & without LNA.
As always Steve at DEM has done an outstanding job in making their units
goof proof. In your case putting the LNA in backwards should not affect
anything long lasting.
The TranSystems unit input (if unmodified) is at DC ground via the comb
filter. The DEM LNA input is also at DC ground via an inductor for "static"
protection.
FYI the DEM LNA is configured for DC bias via the output connector. I'm
working on a way to drive it from the TranSystem units without external
jumpers (details to follow).
The DEM LNA without DC power will be a massive pad. You should see no
signals at all without DC power.
Construction/tuning sheets from DEM for "read the voltage here" measurements
will not provide meaningful data for anything other than basic DC
measurements. Real world tests (in my opinion) should be based either on
A0-40 or SUN noise.
I do have the docs on the 13ULNA & would be happy to FAX to you.

73
Don - W4VQA