tracking programs

Mike Tanner wrote:

I'm just getting back into sats after about a 5 year QRT.  I'm using InstaTrak v 1.0 for DOS!  I was thinking about Nova for Windows until this thread.  So I went to check out LogSat and saw it's 79 bucks plus the 50 dollar upgrades!  That's kinda pricey for this po' boy.
So, what are people using now-a-days anyway?

Wayne replies:

I suppose you mean InstantTrack.  The newest version, InstantTrack 1.5, has VGA resolution, giving you sharper text and a higher resolution map.  It now displays the orbit number, has adjustable fast-forward speed, and makes importing Keplerian elements easier.  It's still a DOS program, but it seems to run in most any Windows OS.  There's also the very cool (free) InstantTune add-on to provide full Doppler tuning with the FT-847.  The IT1.5 upgrade is only $20, and the money goes to AMSAT-NA.

I also like SatPC32 which is not listed on the AMSAT-NA web site.  It's a 32-bit windows program with lots of nice features.  It supports Doppler tuning for Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood radios.  While Doppler tuning is enabled, you can tune across a transponder using the radio's VFO knob, the keyboard, or the mouse (no VFO knob tuning with the FT-736 because its computer interface doesn't support frequency polling).  The demo version can be downloaded for free from Erich Eichmann's web site.  It is fully functional except that you can't permanently store your lat/lon.
http://home.t-online.de/home/erich.eichmann/indexeng.htm <http://home.t-online.de/home/erich.eichmann/indexeng.htm>

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA