RE: Is anyone using Pegasus Mail?

Most email programs allow you to export the address books
although their is not a universal format.  What I did was to add a
few entries in the Pegagus address book and then export it to a
file.  Once you do this you will be able to use notepad to look at
the file.  If you have Excel I beleive you can read the file into Excel
since it is a tab delimited file.

One minor difficulty is that you need to have an address book
open.  When it is their is a AddressBook menu option on the
menubar.  This option replaces the Message option when you have
a message window open.  It took me a while to find this since it's
not readily apparent, unless you have an address book open!

Now look at the help screen in Outlook and figure out how to export
the address book.  Hopefully this will also be in a format that Excel
can read (ie csv, fixed width, or tab-delimited).  You may have to do
some minor editing of the file to get Excel to read it, if necessary.

Once you get the file in Excel you can insert columns, and
rearrange the columns so when you save the file in a tab-delimited
format.  Then simply try to import the file in to Pegagus.

According to the help page below, you only need a name and email
address, all of the other fields are optional, you you may just want
to export the outlook addressbook and attempt to import it just to
see what happens.

I actually use this feature to import our clubs membership roooster
into Pegasus, and it allows me to coordinate my address books at
home and work (I am really suppose to use Outlook at work, but I
am a rebel).

Hope this helps,

>From the Pegasus Help Menu:

Importing and Exporting Addressbook Entries

If you have lists of addresses in other programs, you may be able
to import them into your Pegasus Mail addressbook. Similarly,
Pegasus Mail allows you to export all or selected addresses from
an addressbook to a file that can subsequently be imported into
other applications.

Two import/export formats are available: the first, tagged format, is
a simple textual format where each line contains one field from the
entry, starting with a tag, or a name that identifies the field. Only
Pegasus Mail can usually import this format, but it is easy to read
and to incorporate into word processors. The second format is tab-
delimited text: in this format, each record is held in a single line in
the file, and fields within the record are separated from each other
using <Tab> characters. Tab-delimited format can be easily
imported into many databases and spreadsheet programs.

When exporting to tagged format, each field is named, so the order
of the fields is not important: to see the format used during tagged
export and import, simply select a couple of records in an
addressbook and choose Export to tagged text file from the
Addressbook menu. Once the export is complete, examine the
output file.

When exporting to tab-delimited format, the addressbook fields are
exported in the following order:

	Name/Alias
	E-mail address
	Key
	Department
	Phone
	Fax
	Delivery address
	Postal address
	Details
	Image filename

In tab-delimited format, you must specify a Name/alias field and an
E-mail address field - all other fields are optional and can be
omitted. Fields can also be empty if you wish, and will be safely
truncated to acceptable lengths if they are too long. When you fail
to specify a Key field, Pegasus Mail will attempt to create one for
you - for this reason, Name/alias fields are best expressed as
"Firstname Lastname".

On 7 Jun 2001, at 23:46, John Stone wrote:

> Now maybe you can give me a hint ....
>
> How do I import my addy book into Pegasus???  I kinda like it, but it is of
> limited value without the addy books...
>
> John
> K0UWT

Chuck Gooden N9QBT