Re: Fiberglass Pole Care

 I started out with a 2.5 meter solid fiberglass rod approximately 5
centimeters in diameter.
 I very carefully degreased the entire rod with alcohol. Use a thick cloth
to prevent splinters.
 I then applied two coats of epoxy paint to the rod. I used the two part
paint (like the glue).
 This produced a hard impervious shell on the fiberglass making it difficult
to clamp antennas.

At all clamping surfaces, I laminated old aluminum printing plates to the
rods using contact cement.
This gave the antenna and rotor clamps a surface to bite. I gave the
aluminum a coat of clear laquer.

The rod has been in service since 1995 with no noticeable degradation.

73 de
Don DeJarnette
KC4YRT

ddej@gsa.state.al.us  (Work)