Re: Fiberglass Pole care

At 08:30 AM 6/7/2001, Estes Wayne-W10191 wrote:
>1. Is PVC as good as fiberglass from the perspective of mechanical strength
>and non-conductivity?

PVC is not nearly as strong as fiberglass, and PVC is VERY sensitive to
UV.  It gets brittle after a year in the sun.

>2. Has anybody used a SOLID 1.5 inch diameter fiberglass boom?  I think it
>would be very resistant to cracking.

I found 1.25" solid.  That's what I have now.  They could have ordered 1.5"
for me, but they had 10' long 1.25" in stock, so that's what I took.

>3. What are the best sources for fiberglass crossbooms?  My old crossboom is
>from KLM which is no longer in business.

I bought mine from Ridout Plastics in San Diego.  www.ridoutplastics.com or
try your local yellow pages for a plastics store.  Looking at their web
pages I see that they have a UV-resistant version of fiberglass too.  Too
bad I didn't ask about that when I bought mine.