Re: Fiberglass Pole care

Hello Allen,

sounds like the older KLM fiberglass pole, 1.5" OD with 0.25" wall
thickness, and 1.0 " ID, I have used a few.

Any location on the pole where a antenna or the elevation rotator
will be clamped to, needs to be reinforced. a 1.0" OD wooden dowel
is a poor choice. A better choice is a fiberglass solid dowel,
epoxied in place, in the middle for the elevation rotator clamp and
at the ends for the antennas.

Wood has to much dimensional change with moisture and heat.

STRONGWELL makes fiberglass in many "pultruded" shapes. Call them
and ask for a sample of a solid 1.0" OD dowel, long enough for your
needs. I do not have their phone number at hand.

This fiberglass pole, by itself, will deteriorate in the sunlight,
it is not UV proof. Less than a year and it was "itch city".

Prime and finish paint the pole with exterior paint. I chose a light
grey flat paint to quiet things down. suitable surface prep for
the primer, sand it down, degloss it, then clean it.

Consider using the gritted traction sheets used for stair treads,
trim with scissors to wrap around the fiberglas pole where the
antenna would be clamped, helps to ensure things stay put.
These sheets have a self stick backing. Avoid the rubber only
traction pads by 3M, the gritted ones have worked fine for me.

I upgraded to the 3 piece M2 horizontal satellite boom, a few years
ago. 2.0" OD, 1/4" wall, 1.5" ID, as I recall. 2 pieces on either
side of a solid aluminum dowel that fits into the YAesu G5400B
elevation rotator. This pole was also painted for UV protection
and gritted pads were used. NO doweling is needed.

Stan, WA1ECF