Re: Fiberglass Pole care

>You need to paint it. I took one down after five years and it was
> >shedding.
>The material decomposes in UV light and smog and the glass fibers >start
>sloughing off the surface.
I haven't done this yet, but I am going to try to get marine gel-coat, like
boats and fiberglass pickup truck caps use for the UV resistance.

I figure it's designed for the purpose.  The fiberglass degrades in UV more
quickly in my experience than the board shows.  I bought a fiberglass square
tube from Max-Gain a couple of years back, and it
was left outside for about 2 months.  Looked fine when I used it, seems
strong, etc.  (I did paint it white when I used it)

I bought more tubing recently of the same type and noticed it was about 5
shades darker green!!! (I.E. It was dark green, the "sunlit" one was almost
bleached white!)  So that should tell you something right there.

Fred W0FMS