Re: AMSAT direction

At 10:56 PM 6/6/2001 -0500, Bruce Paige wrote:
>From:                   "Jens H. Jensen" <topcat@mail1.stofanet.dk>
> > Maybe it is time to make an amsat-bb FAQ so that they won't have to?
> > How about a Amsat repository of knowledge?
>
>this is not a bad idea, however, with the amsat journal now being placed on
>cdrom, wouldn't the cdrom be the repository of knowledge. you can search it
>and find what you need.

I hope not. I find web pages far more convenient and accessible, and I
think most people do. I will go online for stuff that I have on CD-ROM,
just to avoid the hassle of find the disk. As a bonus, I might get more
current info.

As far as I can tell, the main reason to publish on CD-ROM instead of the
web is so you can raise some funds by charging for it. That's not a bad
thing, but not the way to provide beginner's info if you want to recruit
new members.

>  as the satellite hobby is so broad, an amsat-bb faq
>would have to be broken into individual satellite faq's, aprs faq's, general
>faq's as well as specific faq's on subjects like amplifiers,
>downconverters, 2m
>antennas, 70cm antennas, 2.4g antennas, even radios. this would be quite an
>undertaking.

It would indeed, but that's no reason not to start. We do in fact have a
collection of FAQs contributed by various people, at
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/intro/faqs.html. Some of these are updated
regularly (I often refer people to the paper "Working the Easy Sats"), and
some are pretty stale.

This is an open collection. More is better. So if anybody wants to take one
of the topics Bruce listed, or some other topic near and dear to your
heart, and write up a FAQ (or other format of article), please do. Even if
it covers some of the same ground as other pages on the AMSAT web site --
sometimes it's helpful to have another opinion or another explanation.

>i think the real faq is already here in the form of the amsat-bb archives
>(which
>you can reach from http://www.amsat.org). if you index on thread, you can
>then read about a particular topic.

This will be more useful when I make a search engine available. In the
meantime, the AMSAT-UK site has a search engine which can be configured to
search the AMSAT-NA site.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org