Re: Fiberglass Pole care

At 07:11 PM 6/6/2001, Allen Fugelseth wrote:
>I have a new fiberglass pole to put up for a cross boom.  What is a good
>treatment to give it before I put it up?  It is one of those thick walled
>ones with a 1 inch hole through it. Should I stuff a 1 inch wood rod through
>it?  Thanks.

I have had a fiberglass crossboom on the tower for over 15 years.  What I
have found is that it degrades slowly over many years due to UV.  You
notice this when you handle a >10 year old crossboom.  You feel the
fiberglass splinters.  I noticed it in a big way when I tried to tighten
the bolts on antenna brackets after 15 years.  The thing had no strength
left against the crushing force.  Therefore, when I bought a new crossboom
last year, I painted it.  My theory is that this will add a few years to
its life by delaying the UV from hitting the fiberglass.  Eventually the
paint will flake, of course, which is why I chose green paint.  Same color
as the raw fiberglass.