Re: Part 2, AMSAT has another SECRET!

Larry Kayser wrote:

> Some of these points go right back to the beginning, What business is
> AMSAT in?

Hmm. The question before *that* one is "Is AMSAT *in* a business?"...in
effect asking "Is 'business' an effective or appropriate model for the
kind of enterprise AMSAT is, or should be?

Seems to me that question's been begged a little bit here. :-) Before we
go off adopting "business" as a model for AMSAT operations it needs to
be answered.

Oh...while we're on the subject, I thought it might be useful to reprise
what AMSAT is actually chartered to do. Some folks may find it
enlightening. I've added some emphasis with *asterisks*.

"The scientific purposes for which said corporation is organized shall
be the carrying on of scientific research in the public interest by the
means of:

A. Providing satellites that can be used for amateur radio communication
and to conduct experiments by *suitably equipped* amateur radio stations
throughout the world on a non-discriminatory basis.

B. Encouraging *development of skills* and the *advancement of
specialized knowledge in the art and practice of amateur radio
communications and space science*.

C. Fostering international goodwill and cooperation through joint
experimentation and study, and through the wide participation in these
activities on a noncommercial basis by radio amateurs of the world.

D. Facilitating communications by amateur satellites in times of
emergency.

E. Encouraging the *more effective and expanded use of the higher
frequency* amateur bands.

F. Disseminating scientific and technical information derived from such
communications and experimentation, and encouraging publication of such
information in treatises, theses, trade publications, technical journals
or other public means.

73 de Maggie K3XS