Re: AMSAT has a SECRET!

Phil:

> We will have what Irridium and Teledesic, and Globalstar all promised but
> never delivered.

I can't speak for Iridium or Teledesic, but you can buy a working Globalstar
phone right now.

>lk Buying a Globalstar phone that might work is not the issue, the issue is
that the Investors will
>lk wait till it is a frosty Friday in hades before an real profits are
made.

>Isn't it interesting!  I noticed, being from the telephone industry, that
>those LEO proposals did not seem to notice that 70% of the world is covered
>in water and even I could see there were not many whales and sea lions that

Actually, Globalstar did notice this fact. The satellites are designed
to use the quiet time over water to recharge batteries for use when
loads are greater. Of course, right now they all have strongly
positive power budgets anyway...

>lk BUT Phil the life time clock on those satellites is ticking away and the
whales are not lining up >lk with their whalequarters to make any calls.
Flat out basic fact, 70% if the time the investments >lk life is ticking
away and their is no significant revenue ever.

>Well this is doable IF AMSAT had satellites that were consistent and
>reliable the manufacturers would rise to the opportunity.   What we need is
>to keep the complexity on the ground (such as digital modulation schema
etc)
>and make the satellite as simple as possible.

Exactly. Not only would this make the satellites more reliable, but it
would decrease the total system (ground segment + space segment)
costs. I have never understood how so many members of an organization
that prides itself on clever, ingenious and cost-effective engineering
can miss the most basic principles of system engineering.

>lk from this point on

Yes, so we agree.  Good.   It is nice to hear from you!  I have been in the
concerned mode on this single issue for over 25 years.  If you remember, I
hope the discussion was after noon on the day it occurred - I well remember
your admonition to never again phone you before noon, but Dave Hull, VK3ZDH
and I pleaded for this approach in 1976/77.  Time does fly doesn't it!

I have been putting in time way down low, down on 136 kHz, and I managed to
work England from here on LF last winter.  We could really have an exclusive
club if we had a 136 kHz to 10 Meters satellite repeater.  The band is only
2.1 kHz wide so we could use a Collins SSB filter in the repeater and we
wouldn't have to worry about going over the horizon since the LF stuff just
keeps on going around.  Deploying the LF antenna would be a challenge at 1.1
kms for quarterwave but with a little effort I could crank out enough RF
from here to power the repeater so we could eliminate the solar cells and
all that stuff.........

There are more "AMSAT has a little SECRET" items coming, I hope you will see
fit to comment as you see fit.

Larry
VA3LK