RE: Re: AMSAT has a SECRET: why not 10m instead of V b and

> >Agreed. The new bands are where it's at, but people need
> >to have an accessible starting point into the hobby. In
> >time, new technologies will make the microwave bands more
> >accessible for beginners, but that's a while off.
>
> To a first approximation, all hams are beginners at
> microwaves, and the results on AO-40 so far suggest
> that microwave operation is pretty accessible.
>
> Just how much more accessible does it need to be?

A lot will be looking for off the shelf converters that can be bolted to an
off the shelf antenna.  There may be solutions over there, but here the
answer at this stage is homebrew or hacking things like MMDS converters.
Good fun, but not everyone's cup of tea.

I don't consider "something available from overseas mail order" as
particularly accessible, unless it's widely known at least among the local
Elmers.