Re: DX on LEO satellites

*> Wayne is correct and I'm sure he sees the same things in IL.  For me
or
*> Wayne to work some of the countries you mention Bruce, we'd need a KW
ERP
*> to get into the birds when they're on the horizon over central America
and
*> that's not friendly to other operators.
+first, if i can work them while operating with an ht and arrow antenna
using 5
+watts from new York (about as far north as Montana), then you should be
able
+to work them from Montana. i never said that you could work 100% of all
the
+countries that i can work from Houston. but you can work all the
northern parts
+of Canada and some of Europe that i **never** get a chance to work.

+i believe that if you have a receive station that can hear the
satellite, then the
+2m up link is no problem. when i am at home, i use up to 50 watts. the
FCC
+states that you can use the power necessary to make the contact. if it
is 50
+watts then that's what you use. you are not labeled an alligator if you
make a
+contact with someone or a dx station.

+you probably will be labeled an alligator if you use a lot of power all
the time for
+all your contacts.

+some of these stations have been on for one or two passes and that's it.

+maybe a week or two later they get back on. maybe it is because they
work,
+maybe they share their radio with a spouse, maybe they borrow the radio
+from a friend. but whatever the case, they are there and you have to be
there
+when they are. having a higher orbit satellite doesn't help that
problem. we
+are still working AO-10. and working Europe, Africa and Asia.

+why is it you think another satellite is needed to accomplish dx when we
have
+satellites now that do it? AMSAT has to move forward with newer and
better
+technology in order to keep the hobby alive. i don't think we can do
anything
+to improve on the radios, antennas or satellites for 2m/70cm. however,
by
+moving up to 1.2g/2.4g/5g, we can develop newer radios, newer antennas
+and newer technologies.

(these debates are great however, i think THAT EVERYBODY  NEEDS TO START
USING COMMON SENSE IN THE WAY WE OPERATE THEN THERE WON'T BE ANY CONCERN
ABOUT INDIVIDUAL ATTACKS
BUT DON'T FORGET THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE WORK QRP DX WITH NOTHING MORE THAN
A 18 INCH WHIP ON A HT OR HT's AND ARROW ANTENNAS (ERP = 15 WATTS @ 5
WATTS) +/- 1.5 DB GAIN
BY THE WAY BRUCE IN DM 13 THE HT / ARROW COMBO WORKS DOWN TO 3-4 DEGREES
THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT IS PROBLEMATIC ON EASTERN PASSES DUE TO QRM FROM
100 Watt PLUS STATIONS
WESTERN PASSES ARE NOT A PROBLEM (MEXICO CITY ON A REGULAR BASIS)

YES DOROTHY YOU CAN WORK DX WITH 5 WATTS (ERP THAT IS )
THAT IS ON UO-14,FO-29,FO-20 LEAST BUT LAST AO-27 (IT HEARS BETTER THAN
IT TALKS)