CW - off topic

I apologize for getting off topic, but I couldn't resist.

Bill Richarz wrote:

I don't belive the ARRL will dump the code though.

Wayne replies:

It's almost certain that in WARC 2003 the ITU will eliminate the archaic
treaty requirement that obligates most nations to require CW testing for HF
amateur radio privileges.

First of all, the ARRL doesn't make the U.S. rules - the FCC does.  Second,
the ARRL has already publicly announced that it won't oppose the impending
WARC 2003 rules change to eliminate the CW mandate.  Third, even the worst
bureaucracies have little motivation to enforce rules that serve no
regulatory purpose.  Consequently, I suspect that most radio licensing
authorities (FCC, etc.) will abandon CW requirements after they are no
longer mandated by international treaty.  This could take years, of course,
because we all know how slowly bureaucracies move.

I'm a "20 wpm Extra" who still operates CW, but I favor eliminating CW
testing requirements.  Even if I did prefer to retain CW testing
requirements, I think it would be a waste of time to oppose something that
is inevitable.  From a technical and regulatory perspective, there is
absolutely no way to justify mandatory CW testing as a condition for
granting radio operator licenses.

Satellite content:  10 meters would still be a poor uplink band for
satellites, even if there was no CW requirement to transmit on that band.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA