Re: censorship

guy lemke wrote:

> I have had other complaints to this same form of censorship in the last
> 24 hours too... I am really sorry to see this happening as it is very
> unnecessary...

Now, let me get this straight, Guy--you're claiming that your messages
about your new list where *you* will filter the content are being
filtered out *here*?

"Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's
Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be
adequately explained by stupidity." The derivation of the Hanlon eponym
is not definitely known, but a very similar remark ("You have attributed
conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity.") appears in
'Logic of Empire', a 1941 story by Robert A. Heinlein, who calls it the
`devil theory' of sociology. Heinlein's popularity in the hacker culture
makes plausible the supposition that `Hanlon' is derived from `Heinlein'
by phonetic corruption. A similar epigram has been attributed to William
James, but Heinlein more probably got the idea from Alfred Korzybski and
other practitioners of General Semantics..."

AMSAT-BB *frequently* runs way behind it's input; it's a *very* large
list. HTML-formatted messages are another issue--and the dangers of
HTML-formatted mail are something a listowner should understand.

I've never heard *anybody* claim their posts were being censored here
before; I would hope that anybody intending to run their *own* maillist
would be prepared to back up such a serious accusation with evidence a
little more convincing than "I posted something and then didn't see it".

I don't think I want to move my discourse on amateur satellites from a
liberitarian domain to an authoritarian one, no matter how
well-intentioned the authority. And I'm sure as heck not joining *both*
so I can get a bazillion crossposts.

It's pretty sad when somebody insists on playing in *his* sandbox just
so he can make the rules.

73 de Maggie K3XS