Re: Arcjet Motor

The bipropellant motors used so far on hamsats are only burn duration
controlled. They do not provide vernier (thrust angle) or throttling
cacpability. I am not sure if the kick motor burn can be aborted from
the ground... any experts on that aspect?

The flip side of the coin is that modern solid monopropellant motors are
extremely consistent in performance once ignited (note Space Shuttle).
Ignition circuits can be "fail safed" to prevent the ignition of only a
part of a cluster. Even in the event of a non balanced firing, a large
enough satellite mass and spin rate may prevent a "tumble." I'd be
interested to hear from those that can do the math in that area, given a
bird about the mass/moments of AO40.

With regard to the article on particle emissions being a danger to the
Shuttle, etc. NASA will certainly let the industry know if there needs
to be some curb on orbital SRM's (solid rocket motors) emissions. My
interpretation of that news article suggests that they are concerned
about the really big SRM's being used as upper stage motors on some
vehicles.

Vince
KD7AI