portables for liniar sats

catching up on the reading I notice that poeple seem to forget that we
already have (for some time) portable ssb trancivers.
namely the ft290R(II) and ft790R(II) combo from yeasu, I'm not sure if yeasu
stil makes them but they should be wel afaileble on the seccondhand market
seeing that they where realy populair in europe at least (perfect field
radios). the later models have a click on amp to be used in place of the
batary pack giving them 10 or 20 watt (I'm not sure) bare they stil give
some 3 watt.
I dont know if anyone has tried these on fo-20 with an arrow but it just
might work.
so forget about waiting for a duplex ssb portable, it is here already and so
are the satalites to use them on (granted you have to carry 2 units around)

73 de Andre PE1RDW
aprsdigi co-ordinator Netherlands
member aprs workgroup Netherlands
mailto:pe1rdw@aprsnl.org