RE: Re: AMSAT has a SECRET: why not 10m instead of V b and

>From: Tony Langdon <tlangdon@atctraining.com.au>
>To: "'Matt  VK2DAG'" <vk2dag@bigpond.com>
>CC: "'amsat-bb@amsat.org'" <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
>Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Re: AMSAT has a SECRET: why not 10m instead of V b
>and
>Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:44:08 +1000
>
> > >Because most hams General and above would resent those
> > >who have not study for those band to get on them, I am
> > >one of them!
> >
> > Oh please!!!  How many General and above are there outside of the US?
>
>Seriously Matt, the equivalent issue for us in VK is that Limiteds wouldn't
>be able to use a 29 MHz uplink, unless it was FM. It'd be intermediate or
>full call territory for us here - basically the same issue, different
>words.
>:-)
>
>As for how important that is, I dunno...

But in a couple of years that'll change, the next WARC will
ditch the mandatory code requirment for HF. Which will open
up the HF bands to all the existing VHF/UHF only class licences.

Most of the worlds hams hold VHF/UHF only class licences,
(Ok I'm excluding Japan where they've had a code free HF licence
for 35 years). Following the next WARC there will be a surge
in purchasing of HF Transceivers, a 29MHz downlink would enable
these people to discover satellite communications.

The development of sats that have Mode A transponders does not
mean we don't build sats for the microwave bands. We'll loose
all our microwave allocations unless we can get more activity
up there.
What we need to do is develop an effective feeder system to
get newcomers into sat operation, once they are hooked we'll
see them move up to using sats on the higher freq bands and
AMSAT will benefit from the support and dollars that new members
will bring.

Trevor M5AKA