Re: was Arcjet, now solid boosters

Especially maintenance.  The airlines have long known that the per-unit
cost of jet engine maintenance is the same whether the engine is 20000,
50000, or 90000 pounds thrust.  Labor cost is the driving factor here,
not parts cost. This is the overriding reason why the Boeing 777 has
only two engines (or so a GE employee told me a few years ago).

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ

Gunther Meisse wrote:

> Drw, Your concept is only correct if the plane can fly with just one engine.
> I think the end result of going across the ocean without ditching is much
> more statically supported with the four engines. What is not supported is
> MONEY. It is much cheaper to fly two engines then four. Fuel, maintance,
> weight etc.
> 73
> Gunther Meisse
> W8GSM