Re: Arcjet Motor

At 10:46 AM 6/4/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Could we do the orbit change in one burn, using a solid motor?
>Very reliable, light weight, good thrust.

And absolutely uncontrollable in duration, thrust magnitude and thrust
vector once ignited.  Might be hard to get desired orbit!

>I'd still put the ArcJet on board, for tweeks.
>
>Greg.
>

>>From: sco@sco-inc.com
>>To: James Sharp <jsharp@psychoses.org>
>>CC: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Arcjet Motor
>>Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 11:37:17 -0400

>>>That all depends on the orbital parameters we want versus what we'll get
>>>from the launch.  If we want a high inclination orbit, but get a launch
>>>into a GTO, the arcjet just isn't going to have the guts to move the bird
>>>in a reasonable amount of time...but if we end up with a favorable launch
>>>orbit and just need to tweak it, the arcjet will work just fine.
>>
>>I would rather take more time in moving the satellite (if the arcjet would
>>work) instead of again risking the fact that we might blow up part of the
>>satellite using the same engine/fuel combination now on AO-40. I would
>>rather be "Safe" than "Sorry" ... even if it took longer to get to the
>>intended orbit.
>>
>>W4SCO
>>
>>----

- Imagine it / Achieve it - Dream it / Become it -
  Larry P. Thomas    wa0gwa  voice : 1 913 888-0282
  Krell Technologies           fax :
  8960 Bond                  pager : 1 913 617-HELP
  Overland Park, KS              www.krell.com
  66214-1722    USA            lpthomas@krell.com