Re: AMSAT has a SECRET: why not 10m instead of V band

>If the BOD and users want 1.2, 2.4, and even 10.5 GHz systems, you
>will get them.  And most likely you will cease to recruit new
>members.  Probably lose a few old operators too.  This is an old
>story.  Seen it on HF in my early days.  Seen it with VHF repeaters,
>and now on satellites.  Why is it that the mean age of a ham is so
>old now?

Perhaps it's because ham radio is dominated by old farts unwilling to
entertain new ideas. People who stubbornly insist on modes of
operation that are seen as inefficient and anachronistic by
prospective newcomers already familiar with personal computers, the
Internet, cable modems, digital cell phones and open-source software.

Years ago I started to say that everything that was ever interesting
about ham radio has been subsumed by the Internet. Perhaps I was
exaggerating a bit. But not much. ANd less as time goes by.

Phil