What should a satellite accomplish?

>From: "Larry Kayser" <kayser@sympatico.ca>
>To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>, "Robert Oler" <cvn65vf94@msn.com>
>Subject: Discussion Level, Jon Ogden
>Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:58:30 -0400
>
>Dear Robert Oler:
>
>The discussion on the next AMSAT satellite project that I initiated
>yesterday has brought forth a number of replies from one Jan Ogden.  These
>replies contain rhetoric and invective of a personal nature that are not
>consistent with the goals...... for the debate will
>continue, your participation is valued and rest assured welcome.
>
>Larry
>VA3LK

Howdy Larry.  I changed the title of the thread but thank you for your
comments.  A long time ago I learned to "live" with people who have little
room for others opinion QUITE sure that they are right and unable to have a
discussion based on the give and take of ideas...

Anyway to advance some of my own.

What should a satellite accomplish?

I think five things.

The first is that it should advance the ART of communications.  Notice I
said communications not technology solely.  We are as a hobby part and
parcel of the technology but the goal of the technology is to provide
alternate and usable communications media to what can be found otherwise.
There are a whole range of these activites; from small antennas to the APRS
stuff thats going on.

The second is to advance the state of the technical art in the hobby.  It is
important to recognize that there are varying amateurs at various states of
the technical art.  I've spent the weekend gluing together a 10ghz link to
whats going to become the "big dish" transmitter site and I enjoy nothing
better then design and building.  Having said that the first step for "most"
amateurs is merely to make various boxes play with each other and learning
how to operate them.  From that the next step is usually the modification of
boxes and the third is the building of them.  Read this BBS for not to long
and you see all three steps at work.  BUT the guy who is learning to
interface his rotor with the computer is advancing the state of his
technical art as much as the gal who is homebrewing the 2 ghz preamp.

The third however is just as important...and that is to create an industry
that is tailored and supportive of the amateur satellite community.  If
there is not an industry that is tailored to the birds then its going to be
hard to have the first step in the second part of this (the above paragraph)
to intice newcomers into the birds.  (I would add that a strong industry is
what in the end keeps the bands to...if ham radio were a big money maker
then the Kenwoods,etc would lobby as hard as the ARRL does to keep the
bands)

These are sort of the "TRIAD" as I see them of ham radio and amateur
satellites in particular.  And while it might be argued that a supersat like
AO-40 does all of them in reality I think that a "big" sat fails on several
key points...all of which AO-40 illustrates.

Had AO-40 died on the launch pad, if it dies tomorrow then the amateur radio
community is "out" of the high altitude birds (except for a very sick AO-10)
for the forseable future.  Its as simple as that.  We have everey single
solitary egg in one basket and for instance no manufactor is going to start
a line of radios etc that are specifically geared for AO-40 based on the
fact that the design is toast if it (the bird) goes away.

Now I think that the high altitude orbit that the bird is in IS A GOOD ONE
and I would push the modes to the higher microwave bands.  But statements
like "its only human error that prevented this bird from being a super star"
are to my mind sadly off the point.  The nature of spaceflight is that
things can die very easily.  If we find out that the momenteumn wheels dont
work or the solar arrays wont deply then the bird is only not a failure
because it works better then AO-10 and that doesnt say a lot.

My argument would be for a lot of smaller satellites, perhaps REQUIRING
ABOUT THE EARTH STATION components that AO-40 NEEDS NOW...not what it was
"suppose to be".  And if we accept that as the given baseline then the bird
gets a lot smaller a lot less complicated (no deployable solar arrays for
instance) and gets a LOT CHEAPER.

In  the end if we ignore the triad I mentioned above the amateur radio
satellites will not be any more safe in terms of their future then say the
vhf bands in general.

Again I enjoy the pleasant tone of the debate.  Thats what it is...a debate
of ideas...the concept of fear is when one is unable to offer ideas but
instead substitutes rhetoric..

Robert Oler WB5MZO