Re: tantals in space

on 6/3/01 12:22 PM, Clifford Buttschardt at cbuttsch@slonet.org wrote:

> Peter, thanks for your comments on tantalum capacitors.  I'll pass this on
> to all our CUBESAT designers that have contact with the effort going on
> in California.  I've never heard of such performance but at least we need
> to check the source impedance of existing power supplies using tantalums.

Peter is absolutely correct about the issues with using tantalums in power
supply.  Before being charged, tantalums have very little resistance and
look like a short circuit.

They are also getting more and more rare and expensive as tantalum is a
mineral mined in few places around the world.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden