Re: AMSAT has a SECRET: why not 10m instead of V band

on 6/2/01 4:55 PM, sco@sco-inc.com at sco@sco-inc.com wrote:

> Top level more expert hams could play with L & S bands. Beginners could
> play with A and V bands.
> What is wrong with this idea? A satellite for ALL hams. Those with
> experience and those just starting out. AO-40 was planned to have a 10m
> downlink. Now I bet most of us wish it had been included.

The idea isn't bad.  If they put in an IF matrix like AO-40 has, you could
have a V/A passband and an U/S or L/S passband operating simultaneously.
Would be interesting.

The other good point that no one has really mentioned is that the higher
gain associated with the microwave antennas will make working the bird very
difficult at perigee.  This will be especially true on AO-40 where there are
no omnis working.  The actual antenna footprint will be much smaller than
the "visual" footprint of the satellite due to the higher antenna gain.  It
will make perigee work interesting.  Lower gain on the V and U bands would
be more useful at lower altitudes.  I am not sure if the new bird will have
antenna switching capabilities between gain and omni antennas, but if it
doesn't, lower bands should be considered.

> I personally will not provide any financial support for Project JJ if it
> does not have a 10m downlink as one of its capabilities.

This I would say is very selfish and short-sighted.  I don't know if any of
us are going to get all we want.  But we can certainly compromise and make
it a successful team effort.  But it is your money in the end.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden